Drugs and Alcohol
Read these pages to learn more about drugs and alcohol.
- How to find out if your teen is using drugs and alcohol
- What you can do about it
- How to Get support from schools
What substance abuse is:
- Substance abuse is what happens when teens use drugs and alcohol to feel better.
- They become dependent on drugs and alcohol. This means they feel they need the drug to feel better.
- Teens may start using drugs all the time, and forget about everything else.
How substance abuse affects teens with hearing loss:
Teens with hearing loss may use drugs and alcohol for many reasons. They may:
- Want to fit in with their hearing friends.
- Think drugs will help fix their problems.
- Think that things can't get any worse and they give up.
Hearing loss may cause your teen to feel all alone.
- Your teen may feel different from other kids.
- He may feel angry that no one understands him.
- Your teen may feel sad or bad about himself.
- He may be depressed.
- He may use drugs or alcohol to help him feel better.
If your teen is using drugs and alcohol, he has a serious problem that needs help fast.
Read about the signs of substance abuse and how you can tell
if your teen has a problem.
Next: Signs of Substance Abuse