HIRING SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETERS
CONSIDER THE AUDIENCE: Will there be anyone at this meeting that will need a sign language
interpreter? If the answer is "yes":
- MAKE THE APPOINTMENT: Schedule the date and time of your staff meeting, gathering presentation,
- CONTACT AN INTERPRETING AGENCY: As soon as you know you will need an interpreter, call an interpreting
agency. The earlier you arrange for an interpreter, the better the chance of getting one.
They need to know the type of meeting, location, time, and length of the meeting.
- CONFIRM: If the interpreting agency has not contacted you to confirm that an interpreter has been
hired, call several days prior to your event to confirm that an interpreter is scheduled to come.
- CANCEL IN ADVANCE: If your meeting or event is cancelled or you do not need an interpreter,
be sure to call immediately to cancel or at least two working days before the scheduled meeting,
or you will be charged.
- QUALITY CONTROL: The person(s) using the interpreter(s) has/have a right to be able to
understand the interpreter. If the interpreter is not understandable to the deaf or hearing
participant, you have the right to request another one.
- EMERGENCY: Ask for an interpreter immediately in an emergency situation.
This page was taken from